Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Missed Connections in Elevators

Dear Future,

I had an encounter in the elevator today at work. I was going down from my 15th floor office to the ground to have a smoke. The elevator stopped and, like many times before, I thought I arrived at my destination to only find myself on the 6th floor to collect another rider. I raised my head to find that this rider was so adorably gorgeous -alternative, perhaps hipster style, messenger bag in tow with a cute hat not overly covering her beautiful face.  Instantly my face froze in a smile.  Sweet! She smiled back and held her smile for much longer than your normal greeting with a stranger.  We both lowered our heads staring at the ground as if there were something extraordinary to view.  With smile intact, I raised my eyes to take a look at her and her smile was not there anymore, but she still held a friendly look -or so I'd like to think. What should I say? I want to talk to her. What do I ask? Elevator speech? Ding! Damn...the opportunity is gone!  She led me through the exit kindly holding both lobby doors to the outside.  Headed straight for the BART entrance, she didn't look back.  That's what I get. Lesson learned: Be prepared! Have an elevator speech ready, in particular 6th floors worth.

What's funny is that my elevator experience this morning was not with a stranger, but another cute girl that I happen to know!  As the doors were closing I looked up to find that the cute girl from the 5th floor was entering the first set of doors into the building.  I must say that normally, I don't hold the elevator for most persons that are still outside the building or entering the first door -there are 5 elevators for goodness' sake and I'm going to the 15th floor. I'm just trying to be efficient, that's all!  So yes, I kicked up my foot to stop the elevator from closing to wait for the cute girl, Elaine.  I've had my eye on her for quite a while and finally last week we formally met outside the building.  "Hey! Good Morning!" I smile.  "Hey" she says then immediately lowers her head to the floor with the extraordinary view. She stops the doors from closing once more for the two other riders that followed her.  Did she not recognize me? Maybe she has something on her mind? Was it because I was wearing heels and flashy earrings? Too femme when she saw me more tomboyish in past encounters? Ding! 5th floor hits and she's gone, rushed to open the doors at 9:46am. No goodbye, see ya later or have a good one.  Hmmm.... Oh well...

There is always something interesting going on in the elevator with other riders -and without. I wonder if the lobby security has cameras on the elevators as they would see me dancing quite often.I'll have to go behind their magic desk and find out.  It doesn't matter anyway because I'll keep dancing.  And next time I see a cute girl, I need to speak up.  I must I must.

Future, please make sure that there will be fewer missed connections and more connections.  I don't have to end up in a relationship with them -even though it could happen. But first things first, I need to talk to them in order to get near any kind of relationship. =)

To more opportunities for connections,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment